Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 28 - I Loved Alone

Most of these lyrics are not my own, but that of my friend Ian Henson, who sent me a poem some time ago and asked me if I could try and make it into a song. The poem he sent was an interpretation of "Alone" by Edgar Allen Poe, and you'll see a few references within (including the titular one).

It was a very interesting challenge, both writing someone else's lyrics and having lyrics first altogether (I have always, always written music first). But it was a challenge that I absolutely, thoroughly enjoyed undertaking. I cut up and added to his work quite a bit (with his permission), and I think the end result is something of which we are both very proud. I know I am.



Lyrics after the jump.

I Loved Alone

Since the moment I opened my eyes
And from that day on
I have not been what another was
I have not seen what another saw
And all that I was
I was alone
And all that I loved
I loved alone

Not every rose blooms living flowers
Angst and happiness in one voice
Can't explain as others have told
My loves, my life, expectations
And all that I was
I was alone
And all that I loved
I loved alone

Whirlpools from which others receive
Sorrow of which I cannot speak
But know now when I think of me
I think of her

Can I summon courage in the void
Darkness and light in one scene
Liberty to share the air I breathe
But I inhale my solitude


And here's Ian's original piece:

Since the moment I opened my eyes and from that day on…
I have not been; as everyone else was,
I have not seen; as others have saw,
I could not explain, as others have told.
I could not bring my loves, my life, my explanations
From the whirlpool which others receive from.
Not all roses bloom living flowers
My sorrow, I could not speak of
My angst to happiness came in the same voice;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
But- now when I think of me
I think of someone else instead

No comments:

Post a Comment